Thursday, January 15, 2009

From My Grandma's Recipe Box Zine




Several years ago when my Grandma had to move into a care facility, I got custody of her recipe boxes. My Grandma was a good cook and it is interesting to read her recipes because many of them have notes about how she liked it, how she modified it, when she made it and other interesting bits.
For this last Christmas I pulled out some that I remembered her making or that she had written something interesting on, made photocopies of them and assembled them into zines. The inside front cover has a photocopy of the photo in the upper left corner (I am the girl in red) and the inside back cover has a photocopy of the top of her recipe box.
Later, my sister-in-law asked if I had a copy of Grandma's hot chicken salad. I looked the both boxes (one is about 4 times bigger than a regular recipe box) and couldn't find anything. A little later, Kathy found her own copy of the recipe and sent me a copy of it. Here it is:

Hot Chicken Salad

2 cups diced chicken breast
2 tablespoons lemon juice
____________
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup slivered almonds
2 teaspoon grated onion
1 cup sliced water chestnuts
_____________
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
buttered bread crumbs

Mix chicken and lemon juice. In separate bowl, mix next six ingredients well. Fold in chicken and don't over mix.
Put in greased casserole. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Sprinkle buttered bread crumbs over all.
Bake at 450 degrees fahrenheit for 15 minutes or until crumbs are brown and crisp.

Serves 4-6

No comments: