Sunday, August 2, 2009

Not-So-Plain Brown Wrapper

I finished reading a book just a couple of days before I was going to be going on a trip and I didn't want to start one of the books that have already been packed to take with me, but I did want to read something that I could finish before I left. So I looked for a skinny book in my bedside stack and found one that I was too embarrassed to have my co-workers see the cover of. You know the kind. They have titles about the billionaire and his virgin secretary and their love child. So bad and yet so good, like that secret stash of Hershey's miniatures you put in the back of highest shelf so your family won't eat them all.
Anyway, I grabbed a lunch bag and a scrap of some striped contact paper on my way out the door to work. Using the same technique I had used in high school to cover textbooks, I made a cover for this book out of the paper lunch bag. Of course, a plain brown wrapper is like a beacon saying "look, there is something of an embarrassing nature under here," so I cut strips from the contact paper and then applied them in a woven pattern to the cover to make it look more like a craft project and less like an attempt to protect my co-workers eyes.
Not-So-Plain Brown Wrapper
I like it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I saw this on Flickr, but will say again, what a fabulous idea for contact paper!

And the hidden candy made me laugh - because my mom did that and now I do too!