Monday, February 15, 2010

Like Macaroni and Cheese


Cheesy grits
Originally uploaded by StellaTex
In our house lunch is almost always a fend for yourself affair. As I was thinking about what I wanted for lunch today I thought I might have a bowl of cereal. (I know. You can't believe my family doesn't beg me everyday to please, please, PLEASE include them in my lunch plans.) Then I remembered that I had some Cream of Wheat that I usually forget about until after breakfast. I really should use that up before the use by date (10/2010) which given how often I think to eat it is not that far away.
The thing is, it's lunch time and I really want something cheesy. That's when it hit me: instead of adding my usual butter, brown sugar and milk to the Cream of Wheat I could add some grated cheese. It's not like the Cream of Wheat police have a camera in my kitchen. (It's not like I do either, which is why I borrowed this picture of cheesy grits from Stella Tex on flickr.)
I should say at this point that the two things my Mom (hi, Mom) taught me about cooking were "350 degrees for 1 hour" and "a little more cheese couldn't hurt," so it isn't a giant leap for me to think to add cheese to something, but I hadn't thought of it before today in connection to Cream of Wheat and I have to say it was so good. Like a warm, gooey, stringy bowl of macaroni and cheese without the bother of chewing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post was funny all around from the camera comment to not needing to chew. :) May try this myself sometime.

martha heiden said...

Well, I would say your mom is never wrong.

Love

Martha