Thursday, January 6, 2011

Two Ads I Hate and One I Like

Twice today I saw the Bayer aspirin ad with the man on the plane who is suffering from back pain. He asks the stewardess for help by pointing to a page in some booklet that shows some Asian characters and the English words "back pain." She offers him Bayer aspirin.
"I'm not having a heart attack," he says.
The stewardess assures him that aspirin can also relieve pain. And it turns out she is right! Who knew stewardesses were up on the latest in medical research?
And that's right, I am saying stewardess instead of flight attendant because it reminds me of an earlier time when people knew that aspirin could relieve pain.
Here is the real question: Why is this man allowed to travel overseas all by himself? Where are his mommy and daddy?

The second ad I hate is the one that starts off saying, "Many men over 45 [insert random symptoms here]." It ends by saying, "don't blame it on aging."
Was this written as one of those party games where each person writes a different line without knowing what anyone else wrote and then hilarity ensues when you read all the lines together? Am I just missing the joke?

Then we have the Mayhem ads. I enjoy them so much. This might be my favorite:


It reminds me of this scene in Fried Green Tomatoes:

No comments: