Sunday, November 22, 2009

100th Post

So I noticed when I put up my last post that it was my 99th, which makes this one my 100th. Woo-hoo! My brilliant idea for this post was to do one of those 100 Things About Me lists. Much harder than I had hoped. So here is the first half.

100 Things About Me part 1
1. I love going to church. I think it is a trailer for heaven.
2. I read somewhere that you can only read 3000 (or is it 5000?) books in your lifetime. Either way, it makes me sad.
3. It is very hard for me to be outside in daylight without sunglasses.
4. My parents used to have a rug with a sun on it hanging over their fireplace. One night my brother and I cut eyes and a mouth out of a magazine to put over the facial features on the sun to see if anyone would notice, but after we were done it was so creepy we had to take them off.
5. I don't like coffee or tea.
6. I love coffee ice cream.
7. I like soda even less than coffee and tea.
8. I sometimes take weather personally. It would probably be wrong to take it personally all the time.
9. My favorite genre of book is romances. Because life is a love story.
10. I like to do number and logic puzzles. Also word mine and spellathon.
11. When I was about 7 years old my parents were learning to play poker and they needed another person to make it interesting, so they got me out of bed and taught me to play, too.
12. Another night about that same time my dad came home from his night school art class and woke me up to teach me how to draw a cube.
13. Strangely enough, my parents were normally very strict about bed time.
14. Hearing birds sing in the morning always reminds me of when I would spend the weekend with my grandma who lived in an apartment in Los Angeles.
15. My grandma used to take me to the Museum of Science and Industry. They had a large egg-shaped incubator where you could watch chicks hatching. Downstairs they had Shirley Temple's doll collection. Those were my two favorite exhibits.
16. Even though it was out of print them, my mom got me a copy of Mara, Daughter of the Nile because I had checked it out of the library so many times. Loved that book.
17. Other books I remember liking a lot as I was growing up were The Forgotten Daughter, Martin Pippin in the Apple Orchard, Journey for a Princess, Miss Happiness and Miss Flower by Rumer Godden, The Swing in the Summerhouse, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle and almost anything by Gladys Malvern.
18. My dad would read me Ray Bradbury stories and Winnie the Pooh when I was little. What a wonderful combination.
19. I didn't read the House at Pooh Corner until I had a little boy and then I cried at the end.
20. When I would spend the weekend at my grandma's she would read me Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling.
21. My husband read our daughter The Wonderful Wizard of Oz when she was about 3 or 4. She would ask me to read the part where the wizard says "I am Oz, the great and powerful," because she liked the way I did the voice and then she would get scared and tell me not to do that. A few days later she would ask me to read that part again.
22. I loved reading out loud to my children and doing different voices.
23. I couldn't see the man in the moon until I was grown up, but I could see the rabbit in the moon.
24. My favorite color is light.
25. My husband and I owned a BBQ restaurant for 13 years.
26. I have not made a pecan pie since it closed.
27. I do not like fish.
28. I love to wear earrings.
29. I fidget too much with other jewelry.
30. I am introverted but I am not shy.
31. I had my appendix out when I was 2. I remember being in the hospital and seeing my grandma walking across the parking lot. I remember the stitches. I loved to rub them, but my parents would get upset when I did. Parents. Sheesh.
32. I had my tonsils out when I was 5. Before the surgery I had to be in an oxygen tent and there were grouchy ladies in the other beds in my room who would tell on me when I tried to poke my head out.
33. When I was in first grade the principal of our school, Mr. Storm (great name for a principal) came on the P.A. and said the next voice we heard would be the sheriff of Dallas, Texas. The sheriff told us the president had been shot. Then we were all dismissed from school. Can you imagine them doing that now?
34. I was surprised to find out we had a president. I knew Washington had been the first president and Lincoln had been the sixteenth, but I sort of thought it was an honorary title for people who had been very honest (Washington -- cherry tree; Lincoln -- walking miles to return a few pennies). I didn't know it had anything to do with the actual running of the country.
35. Even though I was mad about it then, I am very glad that all of the 7 TV channels we got then covered the assasination and the funeral. It was important, and I got to share in that experience.
36. I can write backwards in cursive.
37. When my parents first got a microwave oven, way back in the 70's, my mom learned how to make fudge and for a while my mom and I would make a plate of fudge every Friday night and then eat it while we worked a jigsaw puzzle. We would only eat a few pieces after the chocolate headaches set in.
38. We moved into a new house last April and my husband has gone color crazy. I love it.
39. I just finished reading my 65th book this year.
40. I think the world is beautiful because God is wooing us. Because life is a love story.
41. I thought calculus was fun. But don't ask me how to do it now.
42. I crochet.
43. I make ATC's and inchies.
44. I embroider, even on ATC's and inchies.
45. I love marzipan.
46. At restaurants, I usually narrow my choices down to two things and am not sure which I will get until I actually order.
47. I hate dusting.
48. My favorite chore is washing dishes.
49. I don't have a cell phone.
50. I once grew an avocado tree from a pit.

Oh, my goodness, I did not have to fix the spelling on any of that.

No comments: