Sunday, November 15, 2009

Covered

Pastor Stuart, who normally works with the junior high group gave the sermon today. It should be the last one from the Flipside, Seeing Life From God's Perspective series on Philippians. Today we looked at Philippians 4:14-19.

14Nevertheless, you have done well to share with me in my affliction.
15You yourselves also know, Philippians, that at the first preaching of the gospel, after I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving but you alone; 16for even in Thessalonica you sent a gift more than once for my needs. 17Not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to you account. 18But I have received everything in full and have an abundance; I am amply supplied, having received from Epaphroditus what you have sent, a fragrant aroma, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God. 19And my God will supply all you needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

God wants us to be generous people who meet the needs of those around us. This wasn't the official key thought of the sermon, but I think it was a good summary, so that's the one I'm sharing.

We looked at Exodus 25:2 which talks about those giving whose hearts have been moved to do so; and at Deuteronomy 16:17 where every man is told to give according to the blessing of the Lord. In 2 Corinthians 9:7-8 we are told that God loves a cheerful giver. At this point Stuart made it clear that they, the staff of our church would rather we didn't give until we could do it cheerfully and at God's prompting. The sermon wasn't about increasing our giving to the church, but about encouraging us embrace the opportunities God gives us to be generous.

When we give we honor the source of what it is we have to give.



When we give we are set free to be the generous people He desires us to be.

No comments: