Monday, November 9, 2009

A Practical Application

First of all, Pastor Dale really needs to preach a sermon on how you can be joyful even though you have won the lottery.
A couple of hours after I posted my last entry about contentment, our son started vomiting blood. Once we got past the initial yuckiness we could see that the source was actually a nose bleed.
Without going into all the lovely detail, I will just say we could not get the bleeding to stop or even lessen even after applying pressure for more than thirty minutes. He was a real trooper, but it looked like an awful lot of blood for someone his size, and so we headed to the emergency room per the instructions we found on medical sites.
On the way there I reminded myself -- several times -- that God is in control and I can learn to be content and that I trust His love and power. Because I was listening to the sermon.
Of course, as soon as we actually walked into the hospital, the bleeding slowed to a trickle and the whole thing was much less impressive than it had been when we set out. That's okay, I'm sure the bill will be impressive. Sigh.
After two hours the bleeding had completely stopped and our son had some color back in his cheeks.
My last thought as I fell into bed was "It's a good thing God is in control, 'cause I can't handle this."
See, Dale, I was listening.

No comments: