Sunday, November 8, 2009

Lifesaver

Today's sermon was from Philippians 4:10-13 and was about contentment.

10But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity. 11Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 12I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. 13I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:10-13 NASB

Pastor Dale said the number one killer in the U.S. is heart disease and that if you went to your doctor and asked him what to do to cut your risk he would say eat right, get plenty of exercise and stop worrying.
Eating right and exercising are things that you can do, you can measure your progress and mark it off on a chart, but how do you stop worrying? By learning contentment.
The opposite of worry is contentment, not happiness. Contentment is not being numb to every situation and it is not based on your situation. Worry is based on our situation. Normally we worry about situations we can't control, but verse 13 means we can be content in any situation because we know Who is in control.

Three things we can do to be content:
1. Stay connected to Jesus Christ. Don't wait for an emergency. Pray and stay in the Word in good times and in bad. God isn't a 'get out of jail free' card.
2. Trust His resources. It is an insult to God to worry. It says we don't quite believe God loves us enough or has the power to meet our needs in the best way possible.
3. Share your story. Others can be strengthened and encouraged by hearing how God has worked in your life.

If you want to hear the actual sermon and not just rely on my summary of my rambling notes you can go here. Who knows, it might just add a few years to your life.

No comments: