Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Recipe Box

In the last year I have been in a few recipe swaps on swap-bot and the recipes I have received have all been on 4x6 cards, which, it turns out, I think is a terrific size for recipe cards. Problem is, I don't have a recipe box for that size card and the ones at the store are ugly and cost more than I want to spend.
Once again plastic canvas comes to my rescue.

Recipe Box

So far only the bottom has been done. I had an idea for how I was going to make the top and realized after I cut out the pieces that is wouldn't work so I will have to rethink that and cut out some new pieces preferably out of the pieces for the wrongly designed top.

The pattern itself was made up as I went along. It is made up of randomly sized log cabin squares/rectangles. Can you see the red centers? Unlike in a patchwork log cabin where you start with the center square and keep adding strips as you go, each of these "squares" were started by stitching a vertical bar on the far left of each motif and then working my way around and in until I only had room for red center.

The box itself is lined with felt and the dividers were cut from card stock I have on hand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is really cute. I like it a lot. I have some PC to use and it will probably become a box eventually, too. :)